Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Raspberry White Cake

The cake turned out beautifully. Too bad I had my dates mixed up. The party is October 9th not September 9th. Oh well, everyone else seemed to enjoy my mistake tremendously.

I still couldn't pull off a white cake that didn't brown on the edges. I even undercooked it a bit but that just left it a bit uncooked in the very middle with brown edges still. I've tried the "keep the temperature at exactly 350 degrees" theory, I think I should try the "cook extremely slowly" method like you do for cheesecake. It can't hurt. But the cupcakes from the same batter came out perfectly white, probably attributed to the shorter bake time, but were completely cooked.

I'm sure I've said I'm not a big frosting person. Usually I see it as the medium to decorate the cake and nothing more. Using the exact same recipe I've always used, Wilton's Buttercream Icing, this icing was especially fantastic. I couldn't stop eating it! It was smooth and creamy but not too sweet and the perfect consistency too. I might be turned into a frosting lover yet.

White cake with raspberry filling and buttercream icing. I made the filling by using 1/2 cup buttercream plus 3 tbsp raspberry jam. Use jam instead of preserves if you don't like the seeds. The fresh raspberries on top were a real treat with the buttercream.

No comments: